Book your test - What you need
This is where you can register and book your Life in the UK test. The earliest you can take your test is 7 days from when you book your test.
It is also where you can manage your details as they will appear on your test results or cancel any bookings you have already made.
If you are registering more than one person, you must register each person separately.
To find out more about the Life in the UK Test, please make sure that you have read and understood the information contained on www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk before you book your test.
To book your test, you will need the following.
This is a Biometric Residence Permit
One of these documents, which has a photo that is a true likeness of you:
- A Biometric Residence Permit, this is a residence permit which holds your biometric information; facial image and fingerprints (must be in date)
- A passport from country of origin (may be out of date)
- A UK photo card driving licence (must be in date)
- A European Union Identity Card (must be in date)
- An Approved Travel Document A Home Office UK travel document: a Convention Travel Document (CTD), a Certificate of Identity Document (CID) or a Stateless Person Document (SPD) (must be in date)
- An Immigration Status Document, endorsed with a UK Residence Permit with a photo of the holder (may be out of date)
To book your test you must have one of these documents to prove your identity. If you don't have any of these documents, please contact the Home Office.
Please note the name you provide in your test booking must be an exact match to the name contained on the ID you present at the test centre. If your ID includes a middle name, you must include this in the Middle name field or your test will be rejected and you will not receive a refund.
If you have registered in your married name and your ID is in your maiden name, you must bring an original UK Marriage certificate, or a UK Spouse Visa (within date), or a UK Deed Poll (this must show a red seal) to support this. Without one of these your test will be refused and you will not get a refund.
This is a UK Marriage Certificate
This is a UK Spouse Visa
This is a UK Deed Poll
You must bring proof of your postcode to your test, and this must match the information you entered during registration. We will not let you take your test without this proof, and we will not refund your test fee. This proof should be an original of one of the following documents (photocopies or printouts will not be accepted):
- gas/electricity/water bill,
- a council tax bill,
- bank or credit card statement (a printed copy of a bank statement is acceptable however it MUST have been stamped and signed by the issuing branch),
- UK photocard driving licence,
- or a letter from the Home Office with your name and address on it.
You won't be able to take your test without the above documents, so please don't forget to bring them with you.
The cost of your test is £50.00.
If you do not have a credit or debit card, you can use a pre-paid credit card.
Pre-paid credit cards need to contain the full £50 required to book a test. You can do this by transferring money onto it from your bank account. You can also add money onto your pre-paid credit card at a Post Office and at shops with PayPoint or Payzone facilities.
To find out more, please go to the www.uSwitch.com website.
To book a test you need to have your own email address and must register within the system yourself. This is important as all the details regarding your test, will be sent to this email address. Registering for the test yourself is also important as you will be asked to verbally confirm all the details given at registration on the day of your test. You must also present the same method of ID you selected at the point of registration so must be clear as to which method was chosen.
If you don't have an email address, you can get help to create one from the go-on.co.uk website.
If you'd like more help with your computer skills, or to get internet access, you can visit your local UK online centre.
To be ready to take the Life in the UK test, you must have read the official Life in the UK Handbook: A Guide for New Residents (3rd Edition)
When you've read this handbook, you can come back to this page to book your test.
To buy the handbook:
- Visit the official Life in the UK handbook page (This opens a new browser window.)
- or call the Life in the UK Helpline on 0800 015 4245 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).
We'll do our best to provide the test in a way that meets your needs. We'll ask you more about this when you book your test. A special request includes:
- more time to take the test if you've got a visual impairment.
- the help of a signer and also more time to take the test if you've got a problem with your hearing.
- more time to take the test if you're dyslexic or cannot read in your first language.
- the option to take your test in Welsh if the test centre is in Wales.
- the option to take your test in Scottish Gaelic if the test centre is in Scotland.
- special provision if you only have one legal name and this is displayed on your ID.
It takes up to four working days to organise a special request.